Thursday, February 23, 2012

Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie

Now that I'm working from home I'm on the lookout for healthy snacks. I'd seen this recipe for a Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie on Carrie's blog and figured I've give it a whirl since we always have all the ingredients on hand.


Just a word of warning - freezing bananas will cause the peel to turn black so don't be alarmed. I stuck a banana in the freezer about 2 hours before I wanted to use it and it was just starting to discolor. It's also harder to peel when frozen.

I ended up needing some more milk because the smoothie was too thick (I cut the recipe below in half). Adjust to your desired consistency. This is a delicious, thick and rich smoothie that tastes like a milkshake with a fraction of the calories. Yum!

UPDATE: I've been making these smoothies regularly, although I've also left out the peanut butter and added ice instead of freezing the bananas. Delicious.

Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie
Slightly Modified from Carrie's Sweet Life
Makes 2 smoothies

2 whole frozen bananas, peeled and sliced
1 (6-oz.) carton non-fat vanilla yogurt
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
2/3 cup non-fat milk

Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Add more milk or ice cubes if the smoothie is too thick. Serve immediately.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Love this one! Whenever we have overripe bananas that I know we won't be able to use, I slice them into a freezer bag or container and freeze that way. It's easy for smoothies & banana ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I peel bananas and cut them in half before freezing - perfect size to drop in the blender.

    ReplyDelete

I've been told there are issues with comments going through. After you comment, you should see the following message: "Your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval." If you don't see a message it means the comment didn't go through. Please try commenting again! I'm sorry!